Lots to say about our camping trip to Cougar Flats. But, most importantly, it was lots of fun.
Went primarily with Ethan's friends, Ike and Carter, and their families.
Karri and I were up late on Thursday packing and preparing, then early Friday to load the car. Also, I was up late on Tuesday making spaghetti sauce.
Started with overcast Seattle skies and a light drizzle (also a little worry that we would bespending two nights with weather in the low 60's - high 50's. Fortunately at about Greenwater the skies turned to blue. Of course, we followed Google directions and started climbing up the side of a mountain on Forest road 70. Big mistake since the orad ended and did not connect with 410 (we tried to cut off two sides of a triangle. After our hour delay, we still managed to be the first to the camp site. Pitched the tent and got set up. Beautiful location by a river with a good wading spot and lots of logs to cross.
Friday was hot dogs and smores. Perfect camping food.
Saturday we did a great hike through a cave. Only about two miles roundtrip, so not too far for little legs, but an opportunity to wear headlamps. Ethan was a little nervous on reaching the cave entrance but about half way through he decided it was cool and fun.
Willa was a big girl and hiked the whole way, much of it holding hands with Ike and Ethan. Also hopping by the edge of the trail, which scared the dickens out of her mom.
Back at camp more wading, rock throwing, bug hunting, and fun. That is until I lost my sunglasses in the water while foolishly jumping in with them on (Karri and I need to work on our hand signals (but not her fault - all mine)).
When we tried to get Willa changed into pants and a clean shirt, a mini fit ensued, but before it got out of hand she fell asleep in my arms - too cute. ALthough a little grumpy on waking up.
Saturday evening was a big pasta feed (three or four pasta choices, three sauces, garlic bread, salad) and more smores. I think Ike's parents had never eaten smores before - I was surprised that was possible. Willa loves smores.
Ethan and Willa were super brave the whole time - walking across logs without a second thought - while my legs wobbled and I was super nervous that they would end up in the river (so walked close behind or holding their hands). Ethan even ended up on a log in the middle of the river, just enjoying being a big boy.
Willa made a big girl friend and at one point ended up in our car watching Toy Story with her new friend.
Willa rolled out her new phrase "no stank you!" for the trip. Super cute when she says it.
John and Linda even drove up on Sunday to spend a little time with us before we headed back to the drizzle of Seattle (it was sunny when we drove up, but just as it started raining when I was loading, it started raining while I unloaded).
All in all a really fun weekend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a fun time! We miss you guys.
ReplyDelete