Anyone else have trouble putting food on the table each night. With two kids we never know what will be a hit AND we always seem to be pressed to get the food on the table in a timely manner (before 6:15).
Most nights we either try to cook a staple (spaghetti, mac 'n cheese, quesadillas, tacos, homemade pizza), take out from Ken's Market (roasted turkey or meatloaf, plus carrots and mashed potatoes), or cook something new from Cooking Light. But it seems like at about 5:30 each night, Karri and I are on the phone trying to figure things out. Any suggestions would be welcome.
I guess if we had a nanny, we could always have this problem solved, but that is not in our budget. How did our parents do it? My guess is that most moms didn't work, which allowed them to be primarily responsible for all things dinner-related (plan, shop, prep, cook, and clean-up).
When we do get food on the table, it seems like at least one kid has an issue - Willa staying focused long enough to eat, Ethan actually being hungry, Willa pounding silverware on the table, Ethan liking what we are serving (despite the fact that he either requested it or that he like it last week), Willa enjoying watching herself spit bites out or dribble her drink out of her mouth, or Ethan wanting to pretend to be a seal.
Most nights we either try to cook a staple (spaghetti, mac 'n cheese, quesadillas, tacos, homemade pizza), take out from Ken's Market (roasted turkey or meatloaf, plus carrots and mashed potatoes), or cook something new from Cooking Light. But it seems like at about 5:30 each night, Karri and I are on the phone trying to figure things out. Any suggestions would be welcome.
I guess if we had a nanny, we could always have this problem solved, but that is not in our budget. How did our parents do it? My guess is that most moms didn't work, which allowed them to be primarily responsible for all things dinner-related (plan, shop, prep, cook, and clean-up).
When we do get food on the table, it seems like at least one kid has an issue - Willa staying focused long enough to eat, Ethan actually being hungry, Willa pounding silverware on the table, Ethan liking what we are serving (despite the fact that he either requested it or that he like it last week), Willa enjoying watching herself spit bites out or dribble her drink out of her mouth, or Ethan wanting to pretend to be a seal.
Only sure bet seems to be Tutta Bella (salad, pizza, gelato).
For the record: I love my crockpot, but it is hard to find something easy (so it can be prepped in the morning and we still make it out the door) AND good. And, I can only eat the leftovers so many times, so would be nice to find recipes that are not designed for 6 adults. If you know of any, let me know.
I try to cook a big dinner every few nights so we can freeze and reheat later. If I get any ideas I will send them our way.
ReplyDelete