Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Parenting hot buttons

Vaccinations - I am always surprised how many kids in Washington are not vaccinated and the reasons why. Check out this story and this one. I think economists call this a free rider problem.

Reading & Math - I am not worried about potty-training (although those who know how we did it with Ethan may think we were (rewards, treats, party, light-up shoes, big boy underwear), does anyone know a 15 year old that isn't? But I do focus on reading and math as there are a lot of 15 year olds who are illiterate or unable to do math.

Breast Milk - I think Karri is awesome for having fed or expressed for 12 months with each kid. It was not easy. I helped some (washed a lot of pump parts and bottles AND did night bottle feedings), but Karri did at least 80% of the work. In the books I have read, feeding your kids breast milk is one of the few things you can easily do that has been statistically shown to have benefits. Here is the best book that I have read. However, I acknowledge that some people feel differently and debate the issue, but most of this is about the feasability from a parent's perspective and rarely about the science. On the other hand, sometimes it is about what is in the formula that should weigh even more heavily in favor of breastfeeding. Another factor (knowing I am cheap) is that fomula is expensive, even at Costco.

Home births - too many things can go wrong (even if they rarely do), so I am against home births. If you are a more crunchy, granola, alternative lifestyle sort, then try a birthing center, but make sure it is close to a hospital.

As a parent, to quote my Family Law professor - it's all about what's in the best interests of the children. We try to follow this maxim and it raises my hackles when others don't. Sometimes it's not clear what is in the best interests and reasonable people can disagree, but when it's clear, it sets me off when it's ignored.

No comments:

Post a Comment